AnsweredAssumed Answered

Working Space Requirements 110.26(C)(2)

Question asked by Cory kruip on Mar 7, 2018
Latest reply on Mar 15, 2018 by fourseng

Hello, 

We are a California Electrical Contractor and we installed a new 1200 amp switch gear section for a retail center. This was a upgrade of a existing 1000 amp switch gear section. 

We are running into issues with the local city on the requirements on the working space for the existing electrical room. The code states in the NEC on 110.26(C)(2) for large equipment that two doors must be provided for the electrical room. There is a exception to this code that is stated on 110.26(C)(2)(a), that sates the following. 

(a) Unobstructed Egress. Where the location permits a continuous and unobstructed way of egress travel, a single entrance to the working space shall be permitted. 

I have attached a layout of the existing electrical room that we are currently working in. The door is on the right side of the electrical room and if you were working on the switch gear you would have a continuous and unobstructed way of egress travel to the exit door of the electrical room. The inspector for the city is stating that this door needs to be in front of the switch gear to qualify as the continuous and unobstructed way of egress travel. The city is referencing exhibit 110.19 in the NFPA handbook (See image attached showing the exhibit example they are referencing. 

The question I have is, does the door need to be located in front of the switch gear? Or is this just an example to show a continuous and unobstructed way of egress travel and that having the door to the right of the switch gear with a continuous and unobstructed way of egress travel would be okay? 

Any help on clarification on this would be greatly appreciated. The code doesn't specifically state the location of the door requirement being in front of the switch gear and just states a continuous and unobstructed way of egress and I am curious if the current layout of the electrical room that we are working in qualifies for this exception since there is not obstructions blocking the way of egress. 

Thanks!

Attachments

Outcomes