AnsweredAssumed Answered

Definition of "222" & proper use of NFPA 220 tables

Question asked by R Adams on Apr 2, 2018
Latest reply on Apr 2, 2018 by Milton Werner

I am trying to determine fire resistance rating requirements for a type IIA fully sprinkled structure that is being planned. I am using the 2012 IBC, the 2012 NHPA 101 and the 2018 NFPA 220. I am new in this field so that may explain my failure to find this answer that may seem so obvious.

Using the IBC’s table 601 is a good starting point to find these figures. When I refer to both of the NFPA pubs the type II structures are broken down to 222, 111, and 000 (table 4.1.1 in the 220, for example). I am aware that the three digits refer to fire resistance ratings of three building elements but I cannot find where I read that. I think it was columns, beams and floors (but I could be wrong). Can you tell me where it states what these three digits refer to?

My main question is this, very basically, what specific reference (Section, pub, etc.) tells me which column of table 4.1.1, for example, applies for my situation, the 222 column or the 111 column? Reworded, where are 222, 111, and 000 defined?  I cannot find an obvious answer.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks

Outcomes