AnsweredAssumed Answered

Alternative solution for a warehouse

Question asked by tatocanjar on May 7, 2018
Latest reply on Jul 26, 2018 by m.delplanche

Hello everyone,

I am currently working on a fire protection project for a cellulose pulp warehouse with an approximate area of 30,000 m2 (322,800 ft2). The local regulation requires project compartments (fire walls) every 2,500 m2 (26,900 ft2) maximum, or, as an alternative, the installation of an automatic sprinkler system throughout the building.

The client told me that carrying out the necessary subdivisions is not possible from the logistical point of view and the installation of the automatic sprinkler system either economically.

My concerns are the following:

Is it possible to replace compartments with an alternative measure? For example, by using water curtains.

Is there any NFPA standard or code that can be applied for this case? The AHJ allows the use of international regulations, duly justified.

As far as I know, there is no concession that allows water curtains or other solutions instead of a construction with compartments having fire resistance classification to confine the fire. However, I need to know if it is possible to install an alternative measure with technical support to present to the AHJ.

Thanks in advance,

Outcomes