AnsweredAssumed Answered

210.8(B) - GFCI for everything in garage?

Question asked by gbmracing on May 22, 2018
Latest reply on May 22, 2018 by chiefns830

At my residence in Idaho, I have a separate garage and have had a single-phase 200A panel installed.  The panel has multiple 30A 2-pole 250V breakers feeding L6-30R receptacles.  The plugs are located out of reach at 8' above the floor and power some power distribution units that have individual breakers.  The PDU's power computer servers.  During a recent inspection after a professional installation, we were told that the install failed due to NEC 210.8(B)(8)

*Additionally, the 50A welder circuits were also failed because they did not have GFCI, but the 50A RV plugs were considered ok.

(B) Other Than Dwelling Units.  All single-phase receptacles rated 150 volts to ground or less, 50 amperes or less and three-phased receptacles rated 150 volts to ground or less, 100 amperes or less installed in the following locations shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.

(8) Garages, service bays, and similar areas other than vehicle exhibition halls and showrooms

Searching for answers online, I find some that believe this code doesn't apply to the 240V circuit, while others split the leg voltages and say that it does apply (120/120 to make 240).  Due to the run-on sentence and poor structure of the code, some interpret the 100A rating and locations as applicable only to 3PH applications.  I want to better understand which items or definitions actually caused the installation to fail.  This 2017 change to NEC was poorly written and does not clearly outline the conditions or intent.  I called the NFPA, but as a non-member, I cannot obtain clarification on their poorly written code unless I pay $175.  So is my interpretation below correct?  

1. All single phase 150V or less,     PASS?

OR

2. 3PH 150V or less THAT ARE ALSO 50A or less,     PASS?

OR

3. 100A or less installed in the following locations   (8) Garage     FAIL?

Ultimately, does this mean ALL circuits in a garage require a GFCI, other than the 200A main?  Are there any exceptions or ways to avoid this supposed GFCI requirement?  The cords/receptacles are mounted in a non-accessible area.  I don't have a hardwire option (unless I cut the cord - which would void the UL listing on the cord).  Any help is much appreciated.  Thank you.

Outcomes