AnsweredAssumed Answered

Interpretation of NFPA 414 Para. 4.6.5

Question asked by mark.denesha on Jul 3, 2018
Latest reply on Jul 13, 2018 by mark.denesha

I have a question on how to interpret NFPA 414 Para 4.6.5  All-Wheel Drive. I have a small ARFF vehicle with only 300 gallons of water and complementary agent and is not 4X4 hence does not meet above stated paragraph. However Para 4.6.6.1 states: This requirement shall not apply to vehicles with a capacity of <1999 L (<528 gal). There are no other subheadings before this statement. However I have an inspector that believes this only applies to 4.6.6 All traction-increasing devices shall be operated by a single control for driving simplicity. So in NFPA it is written as such:

4.6.5 All-Wheel Drive.

All-wheel drive on these vehicles shall incorporate a drive to the front and rear axles that is engaged at all times during the intended airport service.

An interaxle differential shall be installed with automatic means or driver-selected means of differential locking.

All traction-increasing devices shall be operated by a single control for driving simplicity.

This requirement shall not apply to vehicles with a capacity of <1999 L (<528 gal).

I believe 4.6.6.1 applies to the whole subsection of NFPA 414 Para 4.6.5 All-Wheel Drive: because there is no other sub heading stating it is a new section within 4.6.5. any comment would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you Mark

Outcomes