ssawyer

IFMA Presidents Message

Discussion created by ssawyer Employee on Jul 6, 2018

Hello and greetings from your IFMA President.  Let me begin with a few words of introduction.  My name is David Lynam and I serve not only as your IFMA president but I am the Fire Marshal and Deputy Building Official for Kitsap County in Washington State.  I have been involved with IFMA beginning as a Chapter President almost twenty years ago.  I have served on your board of directors as well as officer positions include second and first vice president.  I otherwise support the NFPA by serving on the technical committees for 1300, 1730 and 1452 all dealing with community risk reduction or prevention bureau deployment.

This is an exciting time for me personally, for the NFPA and for IFMA.  For those of you who had the opportunity to join us in Las Vegas last June for the Conference and Expo you already know about the concept of a Fire and Life Safety Eco System.  For those of you who couldn’t join us I want to encourage you to visit NFPA.org and learn more.  The message at the heart of the Eco System is that fire and life safety depends on more than one group.  No single person, agency or entity can do it all alone. We are all responsible and have valuable contributions to make according to our own specialty and interest areas.  We need to develop new partnerships while we maintain old ones as we consider effective community risk reduction strategies and design meaningful programs to protect each other from even the most unthinkable situations involving active shooters and other emergencies.

Your IFMA board is up to this challenge.  For more than 100 years your organization has been a leader and a strong voice in fire protection and community safety.  Over the next couple of years, we anticipate making broader connections with other section leaders within NFPA – and key leaders in other organizations that we depend upon to get things done.  We also depend on you through the feedback we receive through your chapter memberships.  One of the things we do at the annual NFPA conference is a Chapter President’s meeting that gives us an opportunity to find out what our members need across the nation.  One topic that has been high on the needs list for the last two years is help with developing staff within our organizations as new prevention officers move in to replace retiring leadership – or even those who may have been let go during the last great economic downturn. 

To that end I am very proud to share that IFMA has developed and made available, a Management Institute designed to refresh the existing skill set of current leaders and provide new leaders with an overview of topics ranging from legal considerations and how to deal effectively with politics to benchmarking and developing budgets.  The Management Institute is available through IFMA by contacting your officers or board members and our Executive Secretary Steven Sawyer.

Thanks for your interest, support and time dedicated to IFMA – and I look forward to working with you.

David Lynam

IFMA President.

Outcomes