AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to choose Standpipe Systems according to NFPA14

Question asked by changwanzhi on Aug 28, 2018
Latest reply on Aug 30, 2018 by nocivus

We have a coal fired power plant project  that recommends the use of NFPA850 standard.

I want to know, how to choose Standpipe Systems according to NFPA14 in coal fired power plant projects?

I do not know whether the description of standpipe Systems in NFPA1 is applicable to NFPA850?

How to choose Standpipe and Hose Systems correctly in power plant project?

Can the Class II  Standpipe be used in high-rise buildings?

Please give some useful suggestions, thank you very much!

I really look forward to your response!

According to NFPA 850, 6.4.2 Standpipe and Hose Systems.

6.4.2.2 Fire main connections for standpipes should be arranged so that a fire main break can be isolated without interrupting service simultaneously to both fixed protection and hose connections protecting the same hazard or area. Choice of Class I, Class II, or Class III systems should be determined by a Fire Protection Design Basis. (See NFPA 14.)

But I can not find information about where we can use the Class II standpipe system.

Only more detail information about Class I standpipe system, as follwing:

7.3 Locations of Hose Connections.
7.3.1* General.
7.3.1.1 Hose connections and hose stations shall be unobstructed and shall be located not less than 3 ft (0.9 m) or more
than 5 ft (1.5 m) above the floor.
7.3.1.2 The hose connection shall not be obstructed by the closed or open door or other objects on the landing.
7.3.2* Class I Systems. Class I systems shall be provided with 21⁄2 in. (65 mm) hose connections in the following locations:
(1) At the main floor landing in exit stairways
(2) On each side of the wall adjacent to the exit openings of horizontal exits
(3) In other than covered mall buildings, in each exit passageway at the entrance from the building areas into the passageway
(4) In covered mall buildings, at the entrance to each exit passageway or exit corridor, and at the interior side of public entrances from the exterior to the mall
(5)*At the highest landing of stairways with stairway access to a roof, or on roofs with a slope of less than 4 in 12 where stairways do not access the roof
7.3.2.1 Hose connections shall be permitted to be located at the highest intermediate landings between floor levels in exit
stairways where requried by the AHJ.
7.3.2.2* Where the most remote portion of a nonsprinklered floor or story is located in excess of 150 ft (45.7 m) of travel
distance from a required exit containing or adjacent to a hose connection or the most remote portion of a sprinklered floor
or story is located in excess of 200 ft (61 m) of travel distance from a required exit containing or adjacent to a hose connection, additional hose connections shall be provided, in approved locations, where required by the local fire department or the AHJ.
7.3.3* Class II Systems.
7.3.3.1 Class II systems shall be provided with 11⁄2 in. (40 mm) hose stations so that all portions of each floor level of the
building are within 130 ft (39.7 m) of a hose connection provided with 11⁄2 in. (40 mm) hose or within 120 ft (36.6 m) of a hose connection provided with less than 11⁄2 in. (40 mm) hose.
7.3.3.2 Distances shall be measured along a path of travel originating at the hose connection.

Then I look out some information from NFPA 1, as flowing:

13.2 Standpipe Systems.
13.2.1 General. The design and installation of standpipe systems shall be in accordance with Section 13.2 and NFPA 14, Standard for the Installation of Standpipe and Hose Systems.
13.2.2 Where Required.
13.2.2.1 Where required by this Code or the referenced codes and standards listed in Chapter 2, standpipe systems shall be installed in accordance with 13.2.1.
13.2.2.2 New buildings shall be equipped with a Class I standpipe system installed in accordance with the provisions of Section 13.2 where any of the following conditions exist
(1) More than three stories above grade
(2) More than 50 ft (15 m) above grade and containing intermediate stories or balconies
(3) More than one story below grade
(4) More than 20 ft (6.1 m) below grade
13.2.2.3 High-rise buildings shall be protected throughout by a Class I standpipe system in accordance with 13.2.2. [101:11.8.3.2]

13.2.2.4* In new assembly occupancies, regular stages over 1000 ft2 (93 m2) in area and all legitimate stages shall be equipped with 11⁄2 in. (38 mm) hose lines for first aid fire fighting at each side of the stage. [101:12.4.5.12.1]
13.2.2.4.1 In existing assembly occupancies, stages over 1000 ft2 (93 m2) in area shall be equipped with 11⁄2 in. (38 mm) hose lines for first aid fire fighting at each side of the stage. [101:13.4.5.12.1]
13.2.2.4.2 Hose connections shall be in accordance with NFPA 13, Standard for the Installation of Sprinkler Systems, unless Class II or Class III standpipes in accordance with NFPA 14 are used. [101:12.4.5.12.2; 101:13.4.5.12.2]

13.2.2.5 New and Existing Detention and Correctional Facilities. Standpipe and hose systems shall be provided in accordance with 9.7.4.2 of NFPA 101 as follows, unless otherwise permitted by 13.2.2.5.1:
(1) Class I standpipe systems shall be provided for any building three or more stories in height.
(2) Class III standpipe and hose systems shall be provided for all nonsprinklered buildings three or more stories in height. [101:22.3.5.5; 101:23.3.5.5]
13.2.2.5.1 The requirements of 13.2.2.5 shall not apply where otherwise permitted by the following:
(1) Formed hose, 1 in. (25 mm) in diameter, on hose reels shall be permitted to provide Class II service.
(2) Separate Class I and Class II systems shall be permitted in lieu of a Class III system. [101:22.3.5.6; 101:23.3.5.6]

Outcomes