AnsweredAssumed Answered

Required separation for a mercantile occupancy

Question asked by ejb on Aug 30, 2018
Latest reply on Aug 31, 2018 by rfdacm02

I'm renovating an existing building in Georgia (IBC 2012 + LSC 2012) that has a 1837 sf conditioned sales area and and 3779 sf non-conditioned sales area. In the conditioned area, they sell farm/plantation supplies (i.e. horse tack, feed & seed and the like) and in the non conditioned space , they sell the same items but in bulk  with the goods stored on pallets. Customers are free to shop in either space but normally the customer tells the clerk what he wants from the non-conditioned space and the clerk loads it directly to the customers vehicle.

I've classified the  entire building as Mercantile Occupancy since both areas are of primary usage and neither qualifies as incidental or accessory usage (either exceeding the 10% threshold) and therefore does not require separation between the spaces.

If I were to classify it into separate occupancies , IBC does not require separation between M and S-1 occupancies. LSC requires 2-hour separation between M and S (low/ordinary hazard).

AHJ wants a 1-hour fire-partition between the spaces. (not sure where he's getting this. I suspect he's going back to previous code for storage areas greater than 100 sf to have 1-hour separation but that code is no longer applicable).

So my questions are...

what would be the correct interpretation?

separation required or not?

Outcomes