AnsweredAssumed Answered

How do you apply NFPA 80 5.2.2.5

Question asked by pappy165@gmail.com on Oct 17, 2018
Latest reply on Oct 17, 2018 by pappy165@gmail.com

Looking for input from NFPA here as well as others...

I have come across some circumstances that I can't give direct answers to regarding the application of 5.2.2.5. Some have asked just what type of "maintenance work" requires the inspection and testing in accordance with 5.2.3. Does this include such maintenance work as adjusting the closer due to air pressure issues? How about the resetting of a partially disengaged hinge pin? Or does this paragraph apply only to the "replacement" of the fire door, frame or any part of its appurtenances that have been damaged to the extent that it could impair the door's proper emergency function. Even at that, if you swap out a closer that has sprung a hydraulic leak with a closer of the same make and model do you need to have an inspection in accordance with 5.2.3.

I've seen that "upon completion of maintenance work" could be interpreted to include "minor" adjustments to hardware items similar to but not limited to those situations mentioned above. If an AHJ interprets it in this fashion it could be VERY expensive for a client to have me come out every time for a single door inspection. Speaking from personal experience, "maintenance work" of any door assembly occurs almost on a daily basis.

I've also had AHJ's tell some of my clients that if I inspect and mark a deficiency on the Annual Inspection Cycle that the client is to have it fixed and then have me come back out to "re-inspect" to ensure the repairs were done properly, essentially looking for a "clean" report.  It has been my experience that I could mark an assembly for a deficiency of a unlabeled protection plate being installed higher than 16" above the bottom of the door and nothing else be wrong with that assembly, then come back after a month when the client has gotten the repair done and re-inspect that door assembly only to find it now has gap issues because a cart has hit the door.  So now the client has to have that fixed and then have me back out a third time to re-inspect the same door and so the cycle goes on and on.

Don't get me wrong, I see $$$ when this happens but I also want to look out for what is best for my client.

Any advice from the NFPA staff here as well as my fellow inspectors would be greatly appreciated.

Paul Anderson

Outcomes