AnsweredAssumed Answered

Fire Alarm System wiring & box installations

Question asked by david.rhoden on Nov 26, 2018

To Whom it May Concern,

I have spent 40 years in the fire protection and life safety industry, 35 years in the private sector installing fire alarm systems and the last 5 years in the public sector inspecting and accepting them.  My goal with this email is to establish a uniformed understanding of what is “compliance” related to the installation of the infrastructure (i. e. wiring, boxes, raceways & enclosures) for the installation of a “Protected Premises Fire Alarm System”

The Context

Article 300 - Wiring Methods and Materials

Article 725 - Class 2 & Class 3 Power Limited Circuits

Article 760 – Fire Alarm Systems

Article 800 – Communications Systems

The influence of singular statements contained in both 725 and 760, may be contributing to the uncertainty?

“Only those sections of Article 300 referenced in this article shall apply”

Questions

Does the definition “Exposed (as applied to wiring methods)” apply to fire alarm systems wiring?

If so, is the cavity above a suspended ceiling considered exposed?

Does 300.4 items (A), (B), (C), (E) and/or (F) apply to fire alarm systems wiring?

Does 314.16, items (A) and/or (B) apply to fire alarm systems wiring?

Does 314.17, items (A), (B) and/or (C) apply to fire alarm systems wiring?

Assuming the manufacture of the fire alarm equipment devices & appliances require a mounting box and/or enclosure, do any of the following apply?

Does 314.19 apply to fire alarm systems devices or appliances?

Does 314.23, items (A), (B), (C) and/or (D) apply to fire alarm systems devices or appliances?

Does 314.24, item (5) apply to fire alarm systems devices or appliances?

Is it presumed the jacket of the non-metallic sheathed cable prescribed in Article 760 will provide enough protection the reason none of the above are cited in Articles 725 and 760?

How much influence should be given to?

Mechanical execution of work

Neat & workmanlike manner

Protection from physical damage

Best engineering practices

Reliability

Outcomes