AnsweredAssumed Answered

How many egress/unit doors do I need for the individual unit?

Question asked by rcarrsr on Nov 26, 2018
Latest reply on Nov 29, 2018 by rfdacm02

I have a two story class II habitational building with 10 units.  There are five units per floor.  The second floor hallway is exterior/open (e.g. California/Florida style).  There are two open stairways leading to ground level.  All units have one egress unit door from unit to open hallway.  Maximum distance from a unit's door to one of the stairway grade level is 35 feet.  Individual unit doors do not have self-closing devices.  Not able to confirm either 1/2" or 5/8" drywall between interior walls separating units while concrete separates the first and second floor units.  Hallway flooring continues with the concrete.  Stairway system is steel.

My dilemma is an underwriter wants a second means of individual unit door egress from the units where I cannot support this request.    Reviewing 7.4, 7.5 & 31.2.4, I have not been able to find a reference to clearly illustrate the units do not need to have two forms of unit door egress to a hallway or stairway.  I reference 31.2.4.3 "Every dwelling unit shall have access to not less than two separate exits remotely located from each other as required by 7.5.1." and 31.2.4.6 "A single exit shall be permitted in building not exceeding three stories in height, ….."  Although 31.2.4.6 is an odd reference, conditions 1,2,5,&6 comply while 3&4 do not apply as the hallway and stairway is open.

Is there any references within NFPA 101 providing a performance guideline for the number of individual unit doors leading to the hallway required within an apartment building?

Outcomes