AnsweredAssumed Answered

Air Sampling-Type Smoke Detector

Question asked by christopher.cooper on Nov 29, 2018
Latest reply on Dec 3, 2018 by mrbrewer2

Hello everyone, I was hoping to get some help on a question that has been going around my office. (if some how NFPA could tell me even better.)

We our trying to understand if in high air movement areas we are require a spacing adjustment for air sampling detectors. We are not all in agreement on, as per section 17.7.3.6.1 the sampling holes are treated like spot smokes. however in section 17.7.3.3.3 it says to fallow the manufactures instruction for high air movement area. this some to what contradicts 17.7.3.6.1.

please let me know what you think and if you need more information.

NFPA 72 2016:

17.7.3.6.1 "Each sampling point of an air sampling-type smoke detector shall be treated as a spot-type detector for location and spacing."

17.7.6.3.3.2 "Where spacing must be adjusted for air flow, spot-type detector spacing shall be adjusted with table 17.7.6.3.3.2 or figure 17.7.6.3.3.2 before making any other spacing adjustments required by code.  

17.7.6.3.3.3 " Air sampling or projected beam smoke detectors shall be installed in accordance with the manufactures published instruction."

Outcomes