AnsweredAssumed Answered

Can I consider Floor Control Valve Assembly same as System Riser

Question asked by pooriav on Feb 17, 2019
Latest reply on Feb 18, 2019 by nocivus

Dear Sir/Madam,

According to the definition of System Riser in NFPA 13, a system riser is:

The aboveground horizontal or vertical pipe that contains a control valve , a pressure gauge, a main drain, and a waterflow alarm device.

on the other hand, a Floor Control Valve Assembly also shall contain a control Valve, check Valve, main drain valve and a flow switch.

According to section 8.2.1, maximum floor areas on any one floor is restricted to 52,000 ft2 for light hazard occupancies.

My question is: when I have a multistory building with more than one Floor Control Valve assembly (for each 52,000 ft2) in each floor, can I consider these valves same as System Riser, or I have to consider more valves as System Riser?


Best regards