AnsweredAssumed Answered

Help on Water Curtains

Question asked by quickresponse@verizon.net on Mar 5, 2019
Latest reply on Mar 7, 2019 by efriend

I have two questions pertaining to water curtains.  State is following 2007 NFPA 13 and 2009 IBC

An opening is to be protected by a water curtain and has a 18" soffit built.  My question comes from that the ceiling that the water curtain is to be installed in, is a cloud ceiling with 9" gaps between the clouds.  Can a water curtain be installed in this configuration or does the ceiling have to be continuous?  Do I have to provide a water curtain above the cloud with upright heads?

I have a glass stairwell that travels between 4 floors.  I am being told that I need water curtains on the exterior side of the glass and that sprinkler heads can be omitted from the interior side of the glass.  I question this, since the stairwell is where the walkway is.  The exterior side of the stairwell is a natatorium and gymnasium, which is located on the main floor level.  Also, the interior of the stairwell has horizontal mullions.  Which side of the glass is sprinkler heads required and which side can the heads be omitted.

Outcomes