AnsweredAssumed Answered

Are fire extinguishers located in restricted access locations counted when figuring travel distance between extinguishers?

Question asked by david.kahn on Jul 1, 2019
Latest reply on Jul 1, 2019 by milt.werner

Our main sterile surgical core is restricted access (badge only) and is rectangular in shape. It is surrounded by hallways that run parallel to the sterile hallways on all four sides. There is a considerable distance between some of our portable fire extinguishers unless the extinguishers inside the restricted areas are factored in. I have checked Code 1, 10, and 101, and nowhere do I find any mention of this. Should we factor in the extinguishers inside the restricted areas when calculating the travel distance between extinguishers? Many staff members who travel through the non-sterile areas do not have access to the sterile core, so they could potentially need to travel significantly further than the prescribed 75 feet to obtain an extinguisher. While it is true that the badge-access door locks should release in the event of a fire alarm activation, there could easily be a situation wherein an extinguisher is sought prior to such an activation. My belief is that the extinguishers in the restricted areas should not be counted, but I would like to be able to support my belief with a Code reference or interpretation. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Outcomes