AnsweredAssumed Answered

NFPA 54 9.6.1 - Connecting Appliances & Equipment

Question asked by adam.knowlan on Jul 14, 2019
Latest reply on Jul 23, 2019 by brianbaughman



I am seeking some additional clarity regarding the NFPA 54 codebook, specifically section 9.6.1 pertaining to Connecting Appliances and Equipment. It would appear that items (2), (3), and (4) all describe a similar product, although only items (3) and (4) specifically call out the need for ANSI Z21.24 certification. The questions I have are:


- What is the difference between (2) and (3)?  In my experience, (3) is a semirigid metallic tubing with metallic fittings. I am referring to your standard flexible gas connectors for home appliances.


- Does (2) not require ANSI Z21.24 / CSA 6.10 certification?  Is this optional?


Ultimately - I am trying to understand if a residential gas appliance (range or dryer) can be connected with a non-CSA certified flexible gas connector. It sounds like (2) may be that solution, however need additional clarity on what products technically fit this description.