AnsweredAssumed Answered

Service Disconnect Location

Question asked by bestic.6 on Jul 22, 2019
Latest reply on Jul 28, 2019 by lhernandez

I have a question in regards to service disconnects. Section 230.70 A1 of the NEC states "The service disconnecting means shall be installed at a readily accessible location either outside of a building or structure or inside nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors". Does a residential electrical box, with disconnect, absolutely need to be located by the incoming service conductors?

I am asking as the electrical box in my residence is located ~20ft away from the incoming service conductors. I was looking to get some work done on my electrical system and the electrician said he would need to relocate the electrical box or install a new one closer to the incoming service before doing any other work so that it is up to code. The bones of the original box were located near the entrance point of the service conductors; however, at some point a prior owner installed a new box at a different location. I am assuming this is because there is a wet bar directly below where the old box was and they did not want an electrical box right above a water source but I cant say for sure.

Outcomes