AnsweredAssumed Answered

metal light poles within 5-feet of the pool

Question asked by chiefns830 on Aug 19, 2019
Latest reply on Aug 20, 2019 by chiefns830

New installation - I have metal light poles within 5-feet of the pool, 8-foot high.  Believe it or not, I can't find where this is prohibited in the new, Article 680.  I have some questions:

Q1 - Is the light pole (together with the fixture) considered a "luminaire?"  The definition of luminaire is the light source, "

together with the parts designed to position the light source" so it makes me think that the whole thing is the luminaire.  Even if I make them go to 12-feet or higher, the metal pole will still be there, and subject to touch.

Q2 - This metal pole will need to be bonded - and in certain situations that can lead to a fault being applied over the bonding grid see 250.52(B)(3).  In reality, they are using the structural steel as a supplemental electrode.  Does anyone see a danger here besides me?

Q3 - Under certain conditions, luminaires in the area between 5-feet to 10-feet would require GFCI protection.  Why is GFCI not required for luminaires closer than 5-feet?  Does anyone see a danger here?  Is there something that I'm missing?

Thank you for your feedback.

Outcomes