AnsweredAssumed Answered

Rules regarding backup, spare, or replacement Portable Fire Extinguishers

Question asked by jmccoy18 on Sep 20, 2019
Latest reply on Sep 20, 2019 by cdafd

My company uses well over 500 extinguishers in the building I work at, and about 25 of those are spares not in use. I cannot seem to find anything in the NFPA 10 that provides for the storage of fire extinguishers which are not currently assigned to protect any given location. I have a fire extinguisher properly mounted next to the spares stack, but the 25 unused extinguishers are all standing on the floor under a platform/walkway. With no provision to the contrary, I am considering the legal implications that I might be required to order brackets, fashion a sawhorse to attach the brackets to, and hang these at appropriate height with signage indicating their location and clear paths of access to the stash of backups. This to be followed by normal monthly inspections and annual PM's, despite the lack of use.

Is there any ruling for backups of this type to prevent that sort of situation? Are they allowed to be on the floor, can the monthly check be reduced to a quick headcount, do I need to put them in a fireproof cage situation?

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer this, and have an outstanding day.

Outcomes