AnsweredAssumed Answered

Possible NEC 820.93(a) Violation. Seeking advice.

Question asked by fenix623 on Sep 21, 2019
Latest reply on Sep 26, 2019 by chiefns830

Hello, I hope I'm posting this in the right section. I'm new here, so please let me know or an admin move this if need be. 

Anyway, so my wife and I moved to our current house in April (this year) and we had Charter Spectrum move our internet service right away. It took forever for them to come out and bury a cable (coax), but that's another story. So they finally come out and apparently all the checks for underground wires/pipes were not done in the area needed to run the cable. The tech was really nice and since we had waited so long (a couple months) he ran a cable to the front of the house "temporarily", as he said there was no ground in that location and it was against code, but he wanted to help us out. He said they would come back out and re-locate the wire once all the safety checks had been done. A couple more months later, they finally come out again (different tech), pulled that cable, and routed a new one to the exact same location. So I contact Spectrum and told them what happened only to be told that it was hooked up right and there's nothing to worry about, so here we are in September and nothing has changed. 

So I did some research and I find the NEC code 820.93(a) states that the coax cable does indeed need to be grounded to the building ground wire. Is this accurate? Did Spectrum just flat out lie to me and we are wired up against code? Also, what do I do about this? Do I report a violation of this NEC code to the NFPA or to the county? 

TL;DR- I believe Spectrum hooked our internet coax cable against NEC Code 820.93(a) and won't fix it. What should I do?

Any help or info would be appreciated. 

Outcomes