Title : Questions concerning the judgment method and the safety action criteria for gas leakage from the LNG storage tank
In order to complete the safety management standards of LNG storage facilities in Korea, we are investigating the safety management standards of the U.S. I ask you politely to answer the question, even if it may be inconvenient for you.
- Introduction of The Rules of Korea
- The Integrated Notification of Urban Gas Safety Management Standards
Article 5 (Gas leakage range and determination method of storage tank for LNG) the gas leakage range and the method of determination shall be one of the following.
- In case gas leakage is found to be leaking from the outside of the LNG storage tank (if the tank has a double structure, the outside of the tank means the outside of external tanks), as a result of inspection using methods suitable for field conditions such as gas leakage detectors and leakage detector fluid.
- In case the gas concentration measured in the space between the external tank and the inner tank (hereinafter referred to as the " insulation space") exceeds 1.25 volume percent during normal operation. (only for the double-structured LNG storage tank with membrane)
- Q1) If a gas leak is found from LNG storage tanks in operation, is it required to report it to the government or related agencies?
- Q2) If Q1 is mandatory, which percentage of gas concentration is considered as a leak that is needed to report? Under what regulations or standards do you do that so? And where is the body or agency being reported it?
- Q3) If there is no obligation to report the gas leak, What is the allowable concentration (Vol%) of gas leakage on the surface of the LNG storage tank specified in the standards and guidelines for management by the LNG storage tank operator?
- Q4) If a gas leak is found from the surface of the LNG storage tank, What are the safety action and operating standard for each leakage concentration (Vol%)?
- Q5) Are there any cases of natural gas leaks due to structural characteristics or aging of LNG storage tanks in the U.S.?
We look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible.
Senior Manager / Inspector
North America office
Korea Gas Safety Corp.
T (323)591-0108 M (213)330-6807 email@example.com