AnsweredAssumed Answered

SCBA Fire Service Lens Inspection

Question asked by bossairman40 on Oct 31, 2019
Latest reply on Nov 8, 2019 by ldill2

NFPA 1852 section 7.1.2.2 reads: Facepiece inspection shall include the following:  (3) Lens checked for holes, cracks, scratches, heat-damaged areas, and a proper seal with the facepiece material.

The SCBA mask lens is plastic in general term.  In 2013 all manufacturers were required to improve lens heat integrity.

I am an SCBA technician and I take my job seriously. I have contacted every SCBA manufacturer to answer one question:

What or how do you recommend to inspect a lens manufactured by your company and deem it safe or unsafe or suggest to remove from service due to SCRATCHES?

NFPA does not specify what a "scratch" is nor does the manufacturers seem to address this in any owners manuals .

Can anyone provide insight into what is considered a SCRATCH according to NFPA 1852?

Can anyone provide information on effect scratches have on the safety of a lens used in the fire service?

New lenses pass the test but what about a used lens, when are they to be taken out of service due to scratches?

Outcomes