AnsweredAssumed Answered

Gravity Waste Chutes

Question asked by mstossel on Nov 15, 2019
Latest reply on Nov 20, 2019 by milt.werner

This question is in regards to NFPA 82 code section 5.2.6.1.4.  This code section requires that "In addition, a sprinkler shall be installed within the chute at alternate floor levels in buildings over two stories in height, with a mandatory sprinkler located at the lowest service level." If a chute passes through floor levels that do not have service openings are sprinklers required at those levels? For example, lets say we have a service opening at the 1st floor, but no service opening at the 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors, and then a service opening at the 5th floor.  Would sprinklers only be placed at the 1st and 5th floors,  or would they be at the 1st, 3rd and 5th floors?  My opinion would be that they are only at the service opening levels (1st and 5th floors). I am basing this on the in ability to inspect or replace the sprinklers in the event they are damaged or activated.  You would need to literally remove the chute and its enclosure to gain access to those sprinklers in the event that service is required.  This of course is only my opinion and look forward to hearing NFPA's thoughts.  

Thank you,

Mike S.

Outcomes