AnsweredAssumed Answered

Change in Occupancy (NFPA 101)

Question asked by ffz290 on Jan 17, 2020
Latest reply on Jan 17, 2020 by cdafd
I am trying to get to the bottom of an construction issue and was hoping to get some help. 
Background
This is occurring in a jurisdiction that has adopted NFPA 1 and 101.
Significant construction project in which there is a change in occupancy of part of the area from a mercantile to an assembly area over 300 people.  The architect did not include provisions for a sprinkler system or a voice addressable occupant notification system. Specifically I was wondering how you would interpret the following portion of NFPA 101 (2018).

43.7.2.2   Where a change of occupancy classification creates an assembly occupancy, and the change occurs within the same hazard classification category or to an occupancy classification of a lesser hazard classification category (i.e., a higher number), as addressed by 43.7.3, the building shall meet both of the following:

(1) Requirements of Chapter 13 for existing assembly occupancies

(2) Requirements for automatic sprinkler and detection, alarm, and communications systems, requirements for hazardous areas, and requirements for main entrance/ exit of Chapter 12 for new assembly occupancies

Specifically 43.7.2.2(2) is that talking about the sprinkler alarm and communications systems in only the hazardous areas or the entire occupancy?

Outcomes