AnsweredAssumed Answered

Luminaires Grid Clips or Screws

Question asked by flaggdies on Jan 29, 2020
Latest reply on Jan 30, 2020 by chiefns830

Hello,

My name is Shane Templeman, I recently became a member of the NFPA again. I have been a member before and need this answered. Please let me know if my reading of this article is accurate.

This is a question in regards to the 2017 NEC article 410.36 (B) Suspended Ceilings.

Framing Members of suspended ceiling systems used to support luminaires shall be securely fastened to each other and shall be securely attached to the building structure at appropriate intervals. Luminaires shall be securely fastened to the ceiling framing member by mechanical means such as bolts, screws, or rivets. Listed clips identifed for use with the type of ceiling framing member(s) and luminaire(s) shall also be permitted.

I read the first portion of this article listed below to mean that the Luminaire must be attached to the ceiling member(s) my mechanical methods. This is a mandatory exception "rule" based on the wording SHALL BE:

Framing Members of suspended ceiling systems used to support luminaires shall be securely fastened to each other and shall be securely attached to the building structure at appropriate intervals. Luminaires shall be securely fastened to the ceiling framing member by mechanical means such as bolts, screws, or rivets.

I read the second portion of this article below to mean that the luminaire can be installed with listed clips for use with the specific type of framing member. Meaning that if the fixture is made and used with a (listed) grid clip made for the type of ceiling then the mechanical means (bolts, screws, or rivets) are not required. I read this as a permissive exception, basically and alternate method as written below:

Listed clips identifed for use with the type of ceiling framing member(s) and luminaire(s) shall also be permitted.

So when reading this article my big take away is that so long as it has a means of attachment either mechanical means (bolts, screws, or rivets) or an alternate means listed (grid clips) it is acceptable in the eyes of the 2017 NEC code. I have heard (and I disagree) it means that in every instance it must have mechanical means (bolts, screws or rivets) of attachment to the ceiling member and if i choose i can add a grid clip as well. 

Please clarify the meaning of this wording and whether or not I have read it properly. Please communicate back when the answer has been provided.I recognize that AHJ has authority and final say, as well.

Best regards,

Shane Templeman

Email: flaggdies@gmail.comflaggdies@gmail.co,

phone: 281-755-4703

Outcomes