AnsweredAssumed Answered

NFPA  70, Art 501.5 (E)

Question asked by dnowicki on Feb 17, 2020
Latest reply on Mar 5, 2020 by chiefns830

In NFPA 70, Article 501.5(E), 1 For a Class I Division 2, Terminations - it says cables entering an enclosure required to be explosion proof shall be sealed at the point of entry.

A squirrel cage induction motor with the proper T Code to my understanding is not an arcing or sparking device and can be considered for use in a Class 1 Division 2 area.  The motor termination weather head is an non explosion proof enclosure. Usually cast iron.

Does the motor require a seal between the motor weather head and the conduit system? Assuming that I seal the conduit where it chnages form a class I Disionv 2 area to a non-classified area with 18 inches of that boundary.

In NFPA 70, Article 501.5(E), 2 and 3 Cables Capable of Transmitting Gases or Vapors. We have tried to determine through research and contacting  manufacturers which cables are cable or incapable of transmitting gases.  We were able to find some IEEE papers, however we can not find a UL or cable standard which states or confirms either condition. Is there a standard we can reference which would indicate compliance to the definitions in the NEC?

Outcomes