AnsweredAssumed Answered

Question regarding inspection of portable fire extinguisher

Question asked by kamil.lagiewka on Oct 2, 2020
Latest reply on Oct 9, 2020 by sean.m.ramsey

Hi All,
Hope you are doing well. My name is Kamil Lagiewka and I am working as 2nd Officer, in possession of Chief Officer’s license,  with experience on LNG and LPG vessels. I was involved in many fire drills and fire extinguisher inspections, so I am very familiar with safety procedures on board . I observed some gap in regulation and I would like to ask your for help and/or advice.

I would like to brining your attention and ask for your comment regarding present regulations of portable fire extinguishers inspection by crew at sea . In IMO Res. A.951(23) and IMO MSC.1/Circ. 1432 there is nothing in regards to how often should be inspection of portable extinguisher and what should be done during inspection by CREW/USERS, it is only mentioned that there must be annually check and most details are covered by the term “makers instructions”. Some manufacturer's has no instruction/ regulations in regards to how often should be inspection of portable extinguisher by CREW and what should be done during inspection.
So should be international regulation which include:
1. How often should be inspection of portable extinguisher and what should be done during inspection by crew?
2. What agitation is required or what is your recommended level of agitation? - for Dry powder portable extinguisher (this type of extinguisher should be inverted or not, if yes then how often ?)

For all others FFE there is regulation including Portable foam applicators and Wheeled (mobile) fire extinguishers is that they need to be inspected monthly by crew) , but for portable fire extinguishers is nothing.

Outcomes